Strange Slic3R Problem

Discuss Slicing software. Help. Advice. Settings.
Post Reply
User avatar
royg
Posts: 98
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:56 pm
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 37 times
Been thanked: 27 times

Strange Slic3R Problem

Post by royg » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:04 am

I've been trying different slicer software, looking at the differences, and trying to work out which one I like best.

Whilst doing that, I encountered a strange problem with Slic3R. I'm using Slic3R Version 1.2.9 running under Linux. The problem occurs with all stl files that I try slicing in Slic3r. I'm using a Tevo Tarantula with a large bed, and the dimensions of the large bed have been configured in Slic3R. The following photograph shows an example of a failed print that was sliced using Slic3r.



Sorry about the out of focus photo - I must get a camera that will do these sort of close-ups well.

What happens with all stl files that I try to slice in Slic3r, is that the rear of the print get cut off, or if you like truncated. You can see in the above photo of a failed Slic3r print, where the skirt is the correct distance from the print along the sides, but across the rear of the print, the skirt and the print body meet, and in this case the print has been truncated by about 20 mm. The truncation seems to occur on the same place on the bed each time (i.e. about 160mm from the front of the bed), regardless of where the print is positioned on the bed.

If I slice the same stl file with Cura, they print without error.

I've checked that the bed size is set correctly in Slic3r, and it is, so does anyone have any idea why this problem occurs on all attempts to slice with Slic3r, on a wide variety of stl files?

Thanks,

RoyG
Tevo Tornado (MKS Gen L version) - Genuine E3dV6 - BLTouch
OctoPi (on an Odroid XU4)
Fusion 360, Cura, Slic3r, Ideamaker

User avatar
Charles
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:02 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 32 times

Re: Strange Slic3R Problem

Post by Charles » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:06 am

I have had some problems with Slicr3. Just some STL's come out wrong. I nearly always use Cura now. Never had a failed slice with it.

User avatar
royg
Posts: 98
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:56 pm
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 37 times
Been thanked: 27 times

Re: Strange Slic3R Problem

Post by royg » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:29 am

I've cross-posted this Slic3r question to the Slic3r section on the RepRap.org forums http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?263,765050. It seems to be a fairly active forum for Slic3r, so we'll see what happens. I'd like to use Slic3r because so far it has been lightning fast compared to Cura. Anyway - we'll see what happens.

RoyG
Tevo Tornado (MKS Gen L version) - Genuine E3dV6 - BLTouch
OctoPi (on an Odroid XU4)
Fusion 360, Cura, Slic3r, Ideamaker

User avatar
Xerxes
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:52 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Strange Slic3R Problem

Post by Xerxes » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:46 pm

Try Slic3r PE, it's quite far ahead of Slic3r in terms of capabilities and development.

User avatar
royg
Posts: 98
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:56 pm
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 37 times
Been thanked: 27 times

Re: Strange Slic3R Problem

Post by royg » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:49 am

I suppose that I should have posted an update to this post nearly a year ago .... but I forgot - must be oldtimer's disease I suppose ;-).

I eventually got feedback from a developer on the slic3r forum regarding this problem. They advised that it was a known problem with that particular version of slic3r, and that the faulty version had already been replaced with a newer version. The moral of the story - always ensure that you are using the most recent version of the software.

However, for the last few months I've settled on using Cura version 3.#. This major new version of Cura has many improvements over the old Cura v2.#. Additionally, Cura version 3.# has a Tevo Tarantula printer profile included by default, and for my printer at least, that Tarantula profile produces good results without any additionally fiddling around with things like jerk and acceleration settings.

I gave up on Slic3r Prusa Edition, because Cura v3.# seems to work better and faster, and in the latest Cura Version 3.2.1, there are some very useful new features hidden under the Experimental tab. These are experimental features, so they may not always give reliable results, so experiment with them first. I've found that some of those experimental features are able to substantially reduce print times, without visibly lowering print quality.

Note: I use Cura 3.# and Slic3r running under Linux Mint OS. If you're using Cura 3.# or Slic3r under Windows or MacOSX, your experiences with regard to software speed may be different.


Regards,

RoyG
Tevo Tornado (MKS Gen L version) - Genuine E3dV6 - BLTouch
OctoPi (on an Odroid XU4)
Fusion 360, Cura, Slic3r, Ideamaker

User avatar
Xerxes
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:52 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Strange Slic3R Problem

Post by Xerxes » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:38 am

Nice well thanks for that update.. I didn't check the date of the post, I thought it was this year :lol: . ..

Ultimately whatever works for you is the best, Cura is a fine alternative.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest