Defective materails...

Something upsetting you.... Post it in here.
justanotherone1

Defective materails...

Post by justanotherone1 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:13 pm

Is it just me? or did anyone else get defective materials? I purchased a tevo tarantula from ali express back in april and received in may. It took about a month to get here and i was excited to build it. I finished assembling it using the videos provided and when I tried to print my first print and it failed miserably. Just about everything went wrong with my tarantula. My extruder would keep trying to push the filament out and it would jam. The hot end leaked PLA on the side of the nozzle where it was supposed to be screwed in and also clogged. I ran out of time to fix it because i started summer school. Now summer school is over and i have time again. Im really debating on these options
1.) Waste time trying to fix this problem... don't know if the circuit board, the extruder, the nozzle is the problem. Maybe they are all the problem, but I will waste more time if i never fix the problem.
2.) Pay more money and buy whole new Tevo Tarantula kit and just upgrade everything with larger printing pad, auto level and whole 9 yards and try to rebuild another one now that i have the knowledge on how to build one then come back and troubleshoot the old one because now i will have something to reference the first one off
3.) pay even more money and buy a whole different brand and better printer to

I'm really tired of reading all these forums and trying over and over again to troubleshoot the problem with no progress. Im wasting so much time and getting nowhere... Seems like I already got dealt a losing hand because the nozzle was defective and i don't even know if the extruder and circuit board are working because i cant even get the damn thing to work...

Lee
Site Admin

Re: Defective materails...

Post by Lee » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:51 pm

Jam is caused by your bowden tube not being inserted fully.
Ooze is caused by your nozzle not being snugged to the heatbreak.

Both of these should have been covered in the videos. Simple and free fixes that should get you up and running pretty quickly.
Printer: Tarantula w/ OctoPi on Pi Zero
Firmware: MK4Duo
Slicer: Simplify3D

justanotherone1

Post by justanotherone1 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:18 pm

I've already tried inserting the PTFE tube all the way in and even went to as far as making sure the PTFE tube is cut flat and squared with no success. I've also already made sure the nozzle was snugged to the heat break but it is leaking from the pointed end because of the silicone was broken on the pointed end not the back end. Yes, they were definitely covered in the videos, but sadly they didn't resolve my problem. I still have a defective hot end. I've purchased a new hot end and ended up which solved the leaking tip, and actually got the printer working a bit and then jammed again. This time I don't know if its the extruder now or the circuit board or the programming. Either way I feel like this project is eating too much time and I end up with a problem one after another. I had real high hopes for it, but I will be running out of time to fiddle with it.

Lee
Site Admin

Post by Lee » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:27 pm

Did you adjust your E-steps from 100 to 96.5-97? I get better results at 97, but the Marlin Firmware is normally set to 96.5s/mm.

Is your hotend fan on all the time?
Printer: Tarantula w/ OctoPi on Pi Zero
Firmware: MK4Duo
Slicer: Simplify3D

justanotherone1

Post by justanotherone1 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:36 am

I will conduct more research about firmware, extruder issues, heating issues, and calibration. So far i have the z axis calibrated right, but the extruder seems to jam when printing and the the nozzle drips PLA material for when it is in standby before printing. I've researched the calibration of the extruder but it seems no one is running the stock firmware on the circuit board. Is the dripping of PLA while heating up in standby mode normal? As for the moment I've already ordered another 3d printer, but definitely plan on getting this one working. I'm running out of time researching on how to get it to work correctly now because life is gonna hit me in the face. I decided to keep going until i finish it and not scrap it. This Tarantula is definitely my baby because I've spent so much time and money on it already and if something goes wrong again I will have an idea of how to fix it in the future.