Direct Drive

General topics regarding the Tarantula
acartier1981

Direct Drive

Post by acartier1981 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:19 pm

Has anyone considered or actually fitted a direct drive extruder to their Tarantula? Being that I plan to print flexible materials in the future I created and setup one that also puts the rollers vertically. I am hoping, and pretty sure, the advantages will outweigh the loss of z travel. I am still refining the design, I think I can make it so that it can be built with some 3/16 or 1/4 aluminum plate, some nuts bolts and spacers and a drill and tap. Not sure if anyone would actually be interested in that though.

Here are a couple pics of how it is looking.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

acartier1981

Re: Direct Drive

Post by acartier1981 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:23 pm

A couple more, really have to work out a better belt connection, lol

My printing pal
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

royg

Re: Direct Drive

Post by royg » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:31 am

Looks good. Many people are going to wonder about the extra weight of the Direct Drive Extruder, and the adverse effect that the additional weight might have on; 1) The X Axis Carriage inertia etc, and 2) on the Z Axis sagging on the side X Axis Rail that doesn't have a lead screw. Did you weigh your X Axis Carriage and direct drive components to see what % additional weight you were placing on the X Axis Carriage. My gut feeling, considering that you seem to have used Tornado style 3 wheel metal carriages, is that what you have may work well.

I've seen a few photos of direct drive Tarantulas, and I think all of them had Dual Lead Screws on the Z Axis. However, those photos don't necessarily mean that you actually need Dual Z Lead Screws to support the additional weight of the Direct Drive Extruder.. For many Tarantula owners, designing and implementing mods for their printers is a key component of their hobby, and the fact that these direct drive Tarantulas also had dual Z Lead Screws may simply indicate that dual z lead screws was a desirable mod - not necessarily a mod required to allow the Direct Drive Extruder to work well.

I look forward to hearing how your project progresses.

RoyG
Tevo Tornado (MKS Gen L version) - Genuine E3dV6 - BLTouch
Tevo Tarantula with a Laser Cutter/Engraver Add-on.
OctoPi (on an Odroid XU4)
Fusion 360, Cura, Slic3r, Ideamaker