Tevo Tarantula (Heating Failed)

Troubleshoot issues with the Tarantula
Bonecaller

Tevo Tarantula (Heating Failed)

Post by Bonecaller » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:24 pm

Hello there everyone. Thank you for taking your time to read this. I am greener than grass when it comes to printers since I just assembled my first Tevo Tarantula. Could you possibly help me with the error that I have come across? Image

After assembling my first printer I turned it on It had no flaws all the axis were moving correctly in all directions and the fans were also doing just as fine. When I pressed on to raise temperate to get it ready to print PLA It rose up to around 180 and then started dropping after which I got the error. Now when I turn it on it won't raise past 18. It goes from 18 to 19 in seconds and the screen begins bleeping. The Heat bed heats up but the nozzle stays the same. Any ideas ?

royg

Re: Tevo Tarantula (Heating Failed)

Post by royg » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:18 am

Welcome to the Forum, and welcome to the beginning of a long learning curve as you learn about 3D printing.

One resource that you'll find useful when you get any error message on your printer's contral panel, is teh MArlin Firmware Documentation Web Site. All of the error messages are listed on the "Configuration" page, with explanations of the causes of each error message.

http://marlinfw.org/docs/configuration/ ... ation.html

In the case of the "Heating Failed" error message, the answer is under the "Thermal Protection" heading in the documentation:

Thermal protection is one of the most vital safety features in Marlin, allowing the firmware to catch a bad situation and shut down heaters before it goes too far. Consider what happens when a thermistor comes loose during printing. The firmware sees a low temperature reading so it keeps the heat on. As long as the temperature reading is low, the hotend will continue to heat up indefinitely, leading to smoke, oozing, a ruined print, and possibly even fire.

Marlin offers two levels of thermal protection:
  • Check that the temperature is actually increasing when a heater is on. If the temperature fails to rise enough within a certain time period (by default, 2 degrees in 20 seconds), the machine will shut down with a “Heating failed” error. This will detect a disconnected, loose, or misconfigured thermistor, or a disconnected heater.
  • Monitor thermal stability. If the measured temperature drifts too far from the target temperature for too long, the machine will shut down with a “Thermal runaway” error. This error may indicate poor contact between thermistor and hot end, poor PID tuning, or a cold environment.
I hope that information is useful.

Regards,

RoyG
Tevo Tornado (MKS Gen L version) - Genuine E3dV6 - BLTouch
Tevo Tarantula with a Laser Cutter/Engraver Add-on.
OctoPi (on an Odroid XU4)
Fusion 360, Cura, Slic3r, Ideamaker