how to put z-offset in start code

Troubleshoot issues with the Tarantula
buffalo

how to put z-offset in start code

Post by buffalo » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:45 am

Hi

I figured out with M851, that my z-offset has to be -1.09. Please, how can I insert this in the start code? I am using Cura, the start code is:

G28 ;Home
G29
G1 Z15.0 F6000 ;Move the platform down 15mm
G92 E0
G1 F200 E3
G92 E0

On which position with which command should I insert the offset? I do not want to set the offset in the firmware, I want to set it in the start code, so changes will go smoother.

regards
Friedrich

royg

Re: how to put z-offset in start code

Post by royg » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:58 pm

Setting the Z Offset in the firmware, or saved in the Main Board's memory via the Printer Control Panel, is by far the better solution.

Software upgrades in Cura (and also in other Slicers) sometimes overwrite or change the configuration settings in the Slicer - usually because the software developer has made a change in the software that requires a different format configuration file.

My preferred solution is to save the Z Offset setting to EEPROM on the Printer's Main Board using the Printer's control panel. You'll need to re-enter the Z Offset if; a) you ever re-load the firmware, or b) if you load default values using the printer's control panel. Keep a written record of the Z Offset value so that you can re-enter it in the Control Panel whenever needed.

If you really want to put the Z Offset in the Cura Config files, then have a look at the Marlin Firmware Documentation Page for M851 (http://marlinfw.org/docs/gcode/M851.html). Just type your requires code into the Start Codes - you might need to experiment a bit to work out where in the list of start codes M851 needs to be - use the Marlin Documentation link provided to check on what the other start codes actually do.

I hope that info helps.

Regards,

RoyG
Tevo Tornado (MKS Gen L version) - Genuine E3dV6 - BLTouch
OctoPi (on an Odroid XU4)
Fusion 360, Cura, Slic3r, Ideamaker