How to update firmware

The programming behind the Tarantula
Charles

How to update firmware

Post by Charles » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:02 am

Video showing how to update to the community firmware.

Lee
Site Admin

Re: How to update firmware

Post by Lee » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:21 pm

Keep in mind that if you have stored settings for any reason, your uploaded changes will not be in effect until you go to Reload Failsafe under the Control menu.

I fought with this for an hour last night when changing my Zsteps from 1600 to 400 to account for my new 4-start lead screws. It just would not change after upload. Then it dawned on me to select that and *poof* it worked.

This also addresses an issue I had previously where my firmware uploads weren't changing my Acceleration from 3000 to 800 and I had to do it manually. It's because I didn't Reload Failsafe.
Printer: Tarantula w/ OctoPi on Pi Zero
Firmware: MK4Duo
Slicer: Simplify3D

justanotherone1

Post by justanotherone1 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:59 pm

Can someone show me how to do this on a Mac?

royg

Post by royg » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:12 am

Sorry, I'm not a Mac user - I run Linux on all my computers, and I've managed to learn a lot about configuring Marlin for Tarantula since I bought my Tarantula.

A quick Google search reveals that there seems to be very few links that specifically address the issue of how to load Marlin Firmware using an Apple Mac. I did find two Youtube video links that were relevant quite a few years ago, but they are so old that the information contained in them will be out of date and will most likely be misleading - so we'll avoid them. Because of changes in Marlin, the Arduino IDE, and OSX, you're best off only using instructions that are as recent as possible.

So in the absence of other information, we'll attack the problem logically.

The first step is to get the Arduino IDE software successfully installed on your MAC. The following link is the Arduino Foundation's own instructions for installing the Arduino IDE on the MAC.

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/MacOSX After installing the Arduino IDE, ignore the "Proceed with board specific instructions" paragraph, and proceed with the next paragraph in this post.

Once you've got the Arduino IDE working, then you'll need to get yourself a copy of the Marlin Firmware for the Tarantula. Currently, the easiest and most reliable (imho) version of Marlin for Tarantula to work with is Jim Brown's Marlin Tarantula Firmware which you can download from here: https://github.com/JimBrown/MarlinTarantula

Find the [Branch] icon on the Github page, and make sure that you've selected "EasyConfig-BugFix". Then click on {Clone or Download], then click on [Download Zip]. Also on this page (https://github.com/JimBrown/MarlinTarantula) if you scroll down a bit, you'll find a paragraph headed "Configured for MY Tevo Tarantula. It works for me, it may not work for you!". Follow those instructions, including Jim's link to the instructional video.

Jim's instructions cover how to adapt the Marlin Firmware to your printer's specific configuration, and then how to upload the Marlin firmware to your Tarantula using the Arduino IDE. The Arduino IDE looks and functions the same regardless of whether it is running on Linux, Mac, or Windows, so the instructions given should make sense with what you'll see on the Mac.

I can't guarantee that the above is the full and complete set of instructions that you'll need for this job. The one aspect that may come to cause you some issues is if there is a need to load specific "drivers" on the MAC, or the need to do something special on the MAC in order to load Marlin onto the Tarantula. My recommendation would be to follow the above instructions, and if you run into any MAC specific issues at any stage,, then you will then have enough information to be able to search for that specific problem - if in fact any problems arise.

I hope this information is useful.

Regards,

RoyG
Tevo Tarantula - Large Bed - E3dV6 - BLTouch
OctoPi (on a Raspberry Pi 3B)
Cura