Thermal runaway

Troubleshoot issues with the Flash
drmacro

Thermal runaway

Post by drmacro » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:56 pm

Looks like this forum is pretty dead, but I'll try a post anyhow.

Second week with my Flash and it works pretty good.

Sometimes it stops in the middle of the print and says "thermal runaway".

Now watching the display, the nozzle temp is actually lower than set and the bed is right on. (checked with a meter and it is correct).

But, if I print again, it prints fine.

Any ideas?

drmacro

Re: Thermal runaway

Post by drmacro » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:33 pm

Ok, so some progress on what's happening, but no good fix ideas.

When I received my Flash the SD card had Slic3r settings .ini file. I used this file and printed several parts. Some with significant bridges with no sag.

This .ini file has the fans set to be off during the first 3 layers, then on, even when no bridge or over hang is being printed. And, it drops the temperature on the extruder and bed after the first 3 layers.

Earlier this week I printed a file and got the thermal runaway error. Since that print, every attempt fails with the same error.

At first I thought it appeared that when the temperature was reduced during printing the bed didn't drop for a long time and was over the post layer three temp for a long time. Then the thermal runaway.

So, I turned off the temperature change.

It still failed. :crying:

Then I noticed, that the cooling fans would kick on and the nozzle temperature would drop far below set point and never recover, and...thermal runaway.

So I set Slic3r to produce a code file with NO cooling fans (my test part didn't have bridges or over hangs).

Lee
Site Admin

Re: Thermal runaway

Post by Lee » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:55 pm

Have you run a PID AutoTune?
Printers: Tarantula | FLSun Delta
Firmware: Marlin 2.0 | Marlin 1.1.9
Slicer: Simplify3D