Bricked Tarantula main board

Talk about anything here. Does not need to be printer related
gizmo

Bricked Tarantula main board

Post by gizmo » Wed May 09, 2018 12:41 am

Hi. I am a newbie with a Tarantula printer. After assembling the printer, it worked fine, but then I foolishly decided to flash the main board with the latest firmware. That's when everything went pear shaped. The printer ceased to work. I tried to reload firmware via Arduino, but no go. I puchased a bootloader(USBasp) but cannot load anything on to it, yet computer says it is working OK. Any suggestions out there? gizmo

royg

Re: Bricked Tarantula main board

Post by royg » Wed May 09, 2018 11:54 pm

Which firmware did you use ? Where did you download it from ?
Tevo Tornado (MKS Gen L version) - Genuine E3dV6 - BLTouch
Tevo Tarantula with a Laser Cutter/Engraver Add-on.
OctoPi (on an Odroid XU4)
Fusion 360, Cura, Slic3r, Ideamaker

gizmo

Post by gizmo » Thu May 10, 2018 9:49 am

I have tried Repetier(original firmware) and Marlin, both downloaded from their home web sites.The problem seem to be getting the bootloader(USBasp) to accept any upload

royg

Post by royg » Fri May 11, 2018 1:01 am

When you say Marlin from home web site, I assume you mean that you downloaded a copy of Marlin from www.marlinfw.org. If that is the case, then the firmware that you downloaded will not work on your printer without a significant number of configuration changes in that firmware. The generic Marlin Firmware contains sample configuration files for a few printers, but not for the Tarantula.

The best (i.e. most reliable) place to obtain a copy of Marlin that is configured for the Tarantula is to use Jim Brown's Marlin for Tarantula Firmware. https://github.com/JimBrown/MarlinTarantula Select the "EasyConfig-1.1-#". Because of the multitude of configuration and modification possibilities for the Tarantula, you will still need to make some configuration edits in the configuration.h file - but Jim's firmware makes those configuration changes as easy as possible. The are instructions included on the above Github page - scroll down and follow the instructions.

As for the USBasp - you should not need to use it. Nor should you need to do anything with the bootloader on the printer's main board - unless your previous attempts with the USBasp have already deleted the board's stock bootloader - unlikely.

Load the Arduino IDE software on your computer (which will automatically install any drivers needed by the computer to identify and connect to the main board in your printer. Open the Marlin Firmware in the Arduino IDE. Connect your Printer to your computer via a suitable USB cable. Follow Jim Brown's instructions for configuring the Arduino IDE, and for configuring Jim's Marlin Firmware. Then upload the firmware as per Jim's instructions.

If you have unfortunately managed to delete or corrupt the Bootloader on the main board, then all is not lost. The missing or corrupted Bootloader can be reloaded, but it is not a simple process. It might be simpler to buy a new main board. If you have corrupted or deleted the bootloader on your main board, the following web post may be of assistance. BUT DO NOT TRY THIS PROCESS until you have tried following Jim Brown's Marlin for Tarantula instructions above., as I'm reasonably sure that your Bootloader will still be intact.

https://3dprinterchat.com/2016/08/how-t ... ootloader/

I hope that info helps. Let us know how you get on.

RoyG
Tevo Tornado (MKS Gen L version) - Genuine E3dV6 - BLTouch
Tevo Tarantula with a Laser Cutter/Engraver Add-on.
OctoPi (on an Odroid XU4)
Fusion 360, Cura, Slic3r, Ideamaker

gizmo

Post by gizmo » Sun May 13, 2018 11:59 pm

Thanks RoyG, Jim Brown's configuration downloaded fine after a few changes; it seems that the original firmware from Marlin was missing the library files. Now I will load it onto the extra board I purchased.

HaydenB

Post by HaydenB » Thu May 31, 2018 2:01 pm

Did you manage to get everything set up and working after you loaded it onto the new board? I think I'm going to have to do the same so I'm curious if all this works.