My Tarantula's first (problem) child.

Talk about anything here. Does not need to be printer related
Post Reply
Fury9er
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 5:58 pm
Has thanked: 1 time

My Tarantula's first (problem) child.

Post by Fury9er » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:34 pm

Hi folks,

I have been making a second printer, using my Tarantula to print the X and Z parts which is did very well with a volcano at 0.4 and 0.5mm layer height from black rigid ink PLA. They look very much like Anet or Prusa axis parts but are designed for LM10UU bearings and 8mm threaded rod Z axis.

It is a very basic Prusa i3 pattern machine made from cheap ebay parts and assembled in a sleep-deprived rush. It will surprise no one here to learn it has some problems :lol:

I am using a bigtree tech.com Ardunio clone and RAMPS 1.4 for electronics along with a 12864 full graphic display.

I made the silly mistake of plugging the drv8825s drivers in backwards so I took them to be bricked, and got some more. That will teach me to orient things by pin assignment and not components :roll: Despite this the arduino still accepts code and the printer will happily heat its bed and nozzle using pronterface.

It will also cause some action on the axes, originally it would only make the motors shudder, but trial and error cable swapping got the X moving in the right sense. Originally the Z motor would shudder,(with its original driver) but it doesn't do anything right now. The Y also works, but when I had it moving last it gradually lost its ability to move forward and backward and would only move forward regardless of what arrow was pressed on Pronterface.

The display will only light up, no characters. The contrast pot is fine, and I have installed and added the u8glib.h library and uncommented the relevant lines of code. I am not very familiar with Marlin's ins and outs (I am using 1.1.3 latest release) so unless my driver-reversing tomfoolery has broken something else I can only assume I am doing the code wrong.

I am using the same Arduino IDE that the tarantula needs, 1.6.8 I believe.

Does it sound like its fried? Should I try getting another cheap Arduino and RAMPS? or should I get a proper genuine set, or maybe an MKS board like the spider?

Thanks for reading :)

JaY_III
Posts: 61
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:08 pm
Location: Ontario Canada
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: My Tarantula's first (problem) child.

Post by JaY_III » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:13 pm

If you end up getting a new board:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3D-Prin ... 9c3a3b495e

So is your board dead? Maybe. Without seing it 1st hand, its hard to say. does it pass a visual inspection? As in anything look to have damage?

The replacement board is only $35 (they do have sales) or less, so worst case if you order this is you have a spare part.

Fury9er
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 5:58 pm
Has thanked: 1 time

Re: My Tarantula's first (problem) child.

Post by Fury9er » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:51 pm

Thanks for the reply Jay - good news! it turned out I simply did not have the RAMPS plugged far enough into the Arduino :roll: Its barrel connector was fouling the power terminals on the RAMPS. When I plugged something in or out the top board was wobbling about a little causing intermittent connections.

The crap-rap is homing and moving its axes in the right direction, and the screen works! I had to change the jumpers for the DRV8825s to select 1/16th rather than 1/32nd stepping, originally they only moved half the demanded distance.

I just need to set the driver current now, the extruder driver got scalding hot after only about 30mm of travel to check direction.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest