What's your day job?

Talk about anything here. Does not need to be printer related
Lee
Site Admin

What's your day job?

Post by Lee » Mon May 22, 2017 10:50 pm

What do you do besides print plastic stuff?

I'm a BIM Manager for an electrical engineering firm in the SF Bay Area. Grew up drafting, been managing for about 7 years now. I also mess around with website developing, nothing serious though, just something to fiddle around with while helping out communities of hobbies that I'm a part of.
Printers: Tarantula | FLSun Delta
Firmware: Marlin 2.0 | Marlin 1.1.9
Slicer: Simplify3D

Rodney K

Re: What's your day job?

Post by Rodney K » Thu May 25, 2017 7:58 pm

I'm a mechanical engineer. I've been designing semiconductor manufacturing and test equipment for about the last 25 years.

royg

Post by royg » Fri May 26, 2017 12:32 am

I'm retired now - a man of leisure, although I seem to work harder and longer now that I'm retired, than I did when I was working. I had a varied series of careers in various industries; Initially an Aircraft Instrument (Electronics) Fitter (in the Royal Australian Air Force), then a Linux Computer System Administrator, then an IT Manager, and and lastly an IT Project Manager.

Now in retirement, I run a small machine shop making model Steam and Internal Combustion Engines, and I'm learning to use the 3D Printer so that I can make Patterns to be used for casting the metal components of those engines.
Tevo Tornado (MKS Gen L version) - Genuine E3dV6 - BLTouch
Tevo Tarantula with a Laser Cutter/Engraver Add-on.
OctoPi (on an Odroid XU4)
Fusion 360, Cura, Slic3r, Ideamaker

jwalker55

Post by jwalker55 » Fri May 26, 2017 3:24 pm

IT Manager, though my role is more of a hybrid manager/sysadmin. Been in IT for over 10 years.

bjorn

Post by bjorn » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:44 pm

IT/Sysadmin, been working with cablemodems and Cable tv for almost 20 years

Foskey

Post by Foskey » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:00 pm

I'm an electrician and a small business owner. Always enjoyed technology as a hobby.

JonIzquierdo

Post by JonIzquierdo » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:02 am

Sell car parts.

stlfinder

Post by stlfinder » Tue May 08, 2018 1:46 pm

Hello, SELL 3d printers and models to print. All it has to do with 3D models for me is a universe to discover. and Working on this is definitely great.
Passionate about 3D modeling and impressions of that kind, visit my website: https://www.stlfinder.com/

Sidewinder113

Post by Sidewinder113 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:20 pm

Supervisor at an healthcare factory; 3d printing helps me take my mind off of my day job.... lol

Xerxes

Post by Xerxes » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:22 am

Ha ha, I guess this is a chance to show off something rare.. A 3D printing truck driver.

To be fair I used to be a Unix systems admin, software engineer, and network engineer back in the day (2000-2010).

Though most recently I have been working as a trucker! ;-) Ended up with a MC licence, and mobile slewing crane licence .. I can now drive 60 ton mobile cranes and 60 ton b-double taught-liner trucks, and even b-double tippers.. Which IMHO is a little scary when they are right up in the air and on soft ground!

Here's one of the trucks I drove for a while. (attached) Would drive over 1000km a day in that between Queensland and New South Wales in Australia.

After 3 years of 100,000's highway K's and physically intensive work, my hip failed and it needs a replacement. Until that happens I am over that urge to work outside and am back to technical stuff - and melting plastic ;-P Still I will probably drive some more in the future at some point.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.