Issues with serial connection

Discuss issues with controller boards. Any make and model
NDN

Issues with serial connection

Post by NDN » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:25 pm

Hi Everyone, I hope someone can possibly help. I am having issues with the serial connection
Name on the Board: MKS Base V 1.4
Tevo Tarantual
Marlin BUG_FIX 1.1.x 2018-01-20
Board per Marlin MKS GEN V 1.3

Issue: I can connect to the TT via the Serial Cable. I can connect via Repetier and Pronterface. When I input G-CODE to update I get read errors, which in-turn disconnect the serial connection but Repetier and pronterface show I am connected. When this happens all I can do is unplug and re-plug the connection to clear the error. M503 causes this most of the time. I dont play much with GCode because it is still new to me, but I had to use it following some instructions to set my Z-Offset correctly.

I am communicating with TEVO and they sent me the info to update the driver, I did that and still have the issue. I have been emailing a tech with TEVO trying to resolve the issue.
Wondering if the info Marlin is telling me and the actual board name may be an issue and possibly causing the problem of dropped connection. I can print fine, most of the time, using only the SD card but its a no go when I try to print via a slicer.

Lee
Site Admin

Re: Issues with serial connection

Post by Lee » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:50 pm

Serial cable? Most boards use a USB cable. Is that what you mean?
Printers: Tarantula | FLSun Delta
Firmware: Marlin 2.0 | Marlin 1.1.9
Slicer: Simplify3D

NDN

Post by NDN » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:14 am

Yes it is USB. USB to serial connection.

Lee
Site Admin

Post by Lee » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:56 pm

Does your computer not have a USB port? Usually you would have a Type B at the printer and Type A at the computer.

To be clear, this is a serial port:

This is USB:

Converting between USB and Serial can be incredibly problematic. I've had to build circuits in addition to off-the-shelf converters for tuning my motorcycles. I can only imagine the cheap controller boards would just further complicate things.

NDN

Post by NDN » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:22 pm

Thanks Lee. I have the USB 2-A and USB 3-a and somewhere in my cables supply is a USB to Serial port. But havent used it since all my printers are now USB. The TT will not work on the USB 3 so my issue is the USB 2 -A to USB 2 -B connection. While talking to TEVO Trouble techs they are the one referring tot the USP 2-B as a serial connection and loading all the FIDI drivers, which I have done. When I try to write I can most of the time, until there is a read command. Once a read command is sent the port shuts down and I get errors, some being Unauthorized command. Others just Printer is offline or not connected. I have to unplug and plug to reset the connection then connect, redo everything I have done and try not to do any read commands. I never noticed this interaction until I upgraded to Marlin. Repetier was so slow most of the time with G-CODE that I didnt use it when I got Pronterface I was able to do much of what I was doing in a real time and this is where I started seein the issue. In both Repetier and Pronterface I see the disconnect just it takes longer for Repetier to let me know it happened.

Lee
Site Admin

Post by Lee » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:13 am

Using a USB 3.0 cable on a 2.0 port should not cause any issue. Even a 2.0 cord on a 3.0 port won't generally cause any issues unless the device being attached needs the increased voltage.

I've used both 2.0 and 3.0 cords on my 3.0 port on my Surface Pro 3 and have not had any connection issues.

Make sure your computer has all WIndows updates installed.

NDN

Post by NDN » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:22 pm

All Drivers have been updated. I have never had an issue going from USB 3 to USB 2 either but my TT has a major issue with it. So far still have the issue.
1st thing I did was update the drivers to make sure the port was correct.
I checked and even when the printer connection tells me it dropped the connection my computer says the connection exists. and I can see the com port and it works.
built my computer. It is a Z87 ASUS MB with 32G RAM, 4770K (not over clocked) and Nvidia 770 all water cooled. All drivers are up to date.
Everything works as far as regular printer, scanners etc etc Just the TT has connection issues.