[Help] motor for the Dual Z Axis

Tarantula hardware issues, upgrades and configurations
pedro151

[Help] motor for the Dual Z Axis

Post by pedro151 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:29 pm

Guys, I was wondering if the stepper motor of the Anet A8 Printer compatible with Tevo Tarantula?

stepper motor: Nema 17
42.3 * 42.3 * 38mm (WxHxD)

royg

Re: [Help] motor for the Dual Z Axis

Post by royg » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:26 pm

I'm not familiar with the part numbers of the Stepper Motors that are fitted to the Anet A8 printer.

However, the part number for the Tevo Tarantula's Stepper Motors is 17HD40005-22B, which is the same stepper motor that is used on many of the RepRap derivitive 3D printers, so these tepper motors are widely available, and usually at good prices. NOTE: Check that this is also the part number shown on your Tarantula's stepper motors - it should be, but Tevo have been know to substitute parts when the part they normally use is not available !

In any case, it is important to have matching Z stepper motors for a dual Z setup, so aim to buy a stepper motor with exactly the same part number as your current Z Axis Stepper.

The Tevo Store sell spare 17HD40005-22B Stepper Motors at decent prices - but depending on which country you live in, you may be able to one buy locally at similar prices and shorter delivery times.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... 453eUuRuLL

The Tevo Store also have their own "Dual Z Kit" for the Tarantula, which includes the additional Stepper Motor, lead screw, lead screw nut, mounting hardware, and the dual servo motor cable - all together at a decent price.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... cac5TH47W9

I hope that information is useful.

Regards,

RoyG
Tevo Tornado (MKS Gen L version) - Genuine E3dV6 - BLTouch
Tevo Tarantula with a Laser Cutter/Engraver Add-on.
OctoPi (on an Odroid XU4)
Fusion 360, Cura, Slic3r, Ideamaker

Cementtruck

Re: [Help] motor for the Dual Z Axis

Post by Cementtruck » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:19 pm

I had the same thoughts as you, but someone on the FB Tevo Tarantula page told me to just buy any motor and when it came in use that for the extruder motor and then move the extruder motor to the 2nd Z. Made perfect sense to me.

I am planning to use a second Z screw, but only one motor. Have any members done that upgrade? If so, I'd like to find out where they got their leadscrew/s and nuts.