Printed Upgrades - Tevo Little Monster

Little Monster hardware issues, upgrades and configurations
Redemptioner

Printed Upgrades - Tevo Little Monster

Post by Redemptioner » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:59 am

Hey Guys

I wanted to start a thread for upgrades, this one will be for the ones we can print, I will start one for upgrades for electronics.

The first post I wanted to focus on the prints you want to do first in order not to run into some of the common issues when starting with the Little monster.

1). Basic fan cover - Although the print head has duel cooling fans for the print, they don't put the air where it needs to go. daviepadilla has designed a quick clip on fan cover to use till you upgrade to a better fan cover (will be in another post) that requires more effort to install. Do this as your first print
Print in PLA with a Layer of 0.1618, 215*C head/40*C bed , no brim,default speed, 20% infill and only a small amount of fan (70 out of 255).
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2443586

2). Filament guide and filament detector - This made by bLITzJoN , there are a bunch of these around but this one is not only the best engineered and the best looking, it also houses a switch for detecting if the filament has run out enabling the printing to be suspended till you change it well before it gets to the end and ruins a print. The main thing here is it will prevent the filament from coming off the spool when the print head homes. If you have done any printing yet you will have already worked this out, if not you probably have a mess about to happen. You will need a 2mm drill bit to make sure the hole is nice an smooth/clean for the filament as well as a couple of M3 bolts about 8mm long. Install from the bottom of the top plate.
Print in PLA with a Layer of 0.1618, 215*C head/40*C bed , no brim,default speed, 20% infill and only a small amount of fan (70 out of 255).
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2629228

3). Arm braces - The ones I like most were designed by Helifreak1960 and work a treat. They will just clip on and you will need 3 for each arm (total of 12). Clip them on about 50mm from top and bottom of arm and one in the middle. Make sure the arms are centred on their heim joints before you clip them on and try to get them level. The pictures show rubber bands on there but I have founf no need for them on any of the LM's I have setup.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2399377

4). Cable guide - You will already know how painful opening an closing the main board cover is with all the cables sticking out the side. Well Spirit00 has solved this for us with his cable guides. He has made them to hold external stepper motor controllers as well (check out some of his other items) but if you are going to the trouble of replacing the stepper drivers then just replace the entire board with a Wifi Duet and give away this clone board that has so many problem with randomly stopping and various parts failing. But until you do use this guide to keep the cables out of the road and out of the fan.
Print in PLA with a Layer of 0.3236, 215*C head/40*C bed , no brim, fast speed if you like (200mm/s), 20% infill and a lot of fan running all the time (200 out of 255).
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2509575

5). Spool Adaptor - If you are like me then you have worked out Hobbyking sells the cheapest filament on the market and it is really good (8/10). It beats many of the top dollar filaments (especially the PLA) for colour, smoothness, strength, easy of printing and temperature tolerance. But the spool holder for the Little Monster is way too small for it. Unfortunately there is not one for the Hobbyking branded filament but AndyGadget to the rescue he has made an adaptor that just slides of the existing spool holder and works a treat for the eSun branded filament spools, which is about the same as the Hobbyking branded stuff. Takes a while to print but don't be tempted to speed things up as you want a smooth and accurate finish so it is worth the wait.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:722469

6). Monster Eyes - As you will have noticed during the install there are 2 LED lights in the control box just floating around, well why not get them attached somewhere save them getting sucked into the fan or rubbing through and shorting on the board. Well bLITzJoN has the solution again with a little mount to put them in. This design does not require you to drill or glue, just jam them in and mount it up, presto done
color=#FF0000]Print in PLA with a Layer of 0.1618, 215*C head/40*C bed , no brim,default speed, 20% infill and only a small amount of fan (70 out of 255). [/color]
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2303273
If it ain't broke then modify it

Xerxes

Re: Printed Upgrades - Tevo Little Monster

Post by Xerxes » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:43 pm

Nice I will definitely try the fan deflectors, much needed.

Also going to try out the filament detector with a Smoothieboard and will post how I go with it.

Redemptioner

Post by Redemptioner » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:40 pm

Once you make a set of basic ones, then print these ones with supports, suggest doing them in ABS though as the PLA will melt if you print anything else other than PLA.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2654436

Also suggest doing the filament guide out of something harder than PLA, it does not last long as the PLA passing through it starts to wear it's way into the material and causing it to add additional drag. The ABS has stood up longer but Nylon or Polycarb (what I am now using) is the best to use although both of these materials require you to change out the hotend for a real "all metal" one. Its not that much of an issue until you get towards the end of the spool and the angle is increase a heap. When I get around to it I will modify the original file to have a set of bowden connectors top and bottom with the ptfe tube running right through (except for the roller on the switch) to prevent wear and give smooth travel.

Xerxes

Post by Xerxes » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:18 pm

Nice I will try that. What's the difference in effect on the extrusion between it an the basic one? I'm gathering it directs air at the extrusion/nozzle and removes it from flowing over the rest of the piece. Can you explain the design?

Redemptioner

Post by Redemptioner » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:41 am

It does 2 main things, firstly it keeps the temp up of the air that is being used to cool the filament which stops the material shrinking too fast when it cools, the other thing it does is reduce how hard it is blowing on the filament preventing warping/movement as it cools it as it is sucking on the outside of it and blowing on the centre.

It is not much of a difference on PLA but when you start printing ABS/Nylon/PC then it has a dramatic effect on being able to tune the fan rates to get perfect bridges and layer adhesion. Also if you are going to print for long times (more than a couple of hours) I high recommend you print it out of ABS or another material that can take the heat as the fan mounts are aluminium that is touch the hotend heatsink, this results in your ducts melting from the build up of heat.

dan_deKalb

Post by dan_deKalb » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:45 pm

I upgraded the entire extruder with the one here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2641993 You have to turn the mount upside down, and change out the fan, but it seems like the heat sink shroud is much more efficient and the melt zone is much more narrow and defined. I printed it in PETG, and I haven't had any issues with printing anything up to 255 degrees.

Xerxes

Post by Xerxes » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:39 pm

Thanks for that