Little Monster, Issues with my slicer software?

Discuss Slicing software. Help. Advice. Settings.
TheScene

Little Monster, Issues with my slicer software?

Post by TheScene » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:19 pm

I have Cura and Simplify3d. Both of which have now failed me in printing with my Little Monster.
Its just a long and annoying story...
(Simplify3d)It all started with trying to calibrate the unit... it just constantly drove the extruder nozzle into the build plate… It has unfortunately ruined the nice 3m build plate sticker that was provided… Ive since fixed this issue with an offset of 6.0 at the start... but then after 3 full model builds i HAD TO change it back to 0.8 because it SLAMMED into the bed AGAIN... Ive since corrected it AGAIN to 1.6. Now after i litteraly did the last adjustment no matter what g.code i send the touch screen freezes either right off the bat or 1 to 2 seconds in. Ive since reinstalled the software and also a restore point...
(Cura)I then went to Cura and put in all the necessary G.code to include the bltouch commands etc. Oddly enough it PRINTED but only for a short while because the raft peeled off the plate... So i went back into the software to change the coding again (MANY TIMES) now its like the printer has forgotten to use the bltouch feature and it just starts printing from 10mm or so... This printer has been a total nightmare... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Xerxes

Re: Little Monster, Issues with my slicer software?

Post by Xerxes » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:53 pm

I recommend using this procedure to calibrate/setup the TLM and setup up a profile in Slic3r PE.

http://tevo-3d-printers.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=341

In addition to the auto calibration, you need to set the space between the BLTouch sensor tip and the nozzle tip manually using the process in the link above. It will stop you getting crashes and also make sure your first layer is at the right dimensions.

I've tried Slic3r as an alternative but it worked no where as well as Sic3r PE (mainly due to lack of suitable configuration examples). But since you have simplify 3d, you might as well use it. BUT make sure you use the process in the link above to find out the exact offset for your startup gcode.

Don't feel too bad about the build plate I think everyone causes an effector crash at some point (I have a couple times, and yes they damaged the 3m sticker when I was learning.) The sticker though is consumable. I HIGHLY recommend you get rid of it when it bubbles (it will) and replace it simply by using the black glass surface of the TLM with either gluestick or ABS juice (for ABS.) I've tried aftermarket build surfaces and found them generally to be an unreliable and expensive time consuming exercise. Better yet get yourself a couple glass ones cut so you can have an even flatter surface that is removable for cool down times while you load another and bring it up to temperature.