Cura; Prints start off too high from bed

Troubleshoot issues with the Little Monster
Ritchievandaal

Cura; Prints start off too high from bed

Post by Ritchievandaal » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:30 pm

Hi!

Recently I bought a Tevo Little Monster after the succes I had with the Tevo Tarantula,
However I do have a problem with Cura,

Whenever I prepare a print in Cura 3.1 the print always starts about 5 mm from the buildplate, which is wierd, ( I've tried several printer profiles as well as several firmware flavors, but to no succes)
I had the same problem in Slic3r but in Slic3r I was able to alter the Z-offset in the printer profile itself and it works,
The problem being with that is that Slic3r itself is quite limited...

Cura 3.1 has no such setting to my knowledge, and I already tried to change the starting G-CODE, but to no avail with really counter intuitive results...

For example this is the normal start G-CODE of a Deltabot profile;
G28 ;Home
G1 Z15.0 F6000 ;Move the platform down 15mm
;Prime the extruder
G92 E0
G1 F200 E3
G92 E0

I then altered that to;
G28 ;Home
G1 Z15.0 F6000 ;Move the platform down 15mm
;Prime the extruder
G92 E0
G1 F200 E3
G92 Z-5.1 E0 (-5.1 referring to the approximate distance it starts too high.)

What happened was that the printer even started printing higher than it already did, but not by 5.1mm but by something like 20mm even, I then tried to swap it to a positive number, but actually the same happened.
I really can;t make heads or tails of it,

LAter I tried the following;
I changed it to a G1 command, which does work. But then it just moves to its actual 0 position (now Z-5.1) and then when it starts to move to its first coördinate it moves back up 5.1mm again...

I've also examined the G-CODE files themselves but I can't figure it out,
Does anybody have the solution to this problem?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

royg

Re: Cura; Prints start off too high from bed

Post by royg » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:40 am

Ritchie,

I was going to suggest that you try asking on the Ultimaker Forum under the Cura sub-forum (https://community.ultimaker.com/forum/108-cura-plugins/) but I see that you've already asked there..... The other place that I have found helpful in getting answers to Cura related issues, is The 3D Printing Forum (http://www.3dprintingforum.us/viewforum.php?f=22) under the Cura sub-forum. One thing that I've noticed when posting to the various Cura and Slic3r specific forums, is that the people responding on those forums may not recognise the various Tevo model names - so I'd suggest identifying your printers as a "Delta Printer (Tevo Little Monster)" to get the readers focused on teh issue that you've got a Delta printer problem.

Unfortunately, I have no hands-on experience with Delta 3D Printers, so I can't offer much other advice. The latest version of Cura is 3.3.1 - which seems to have fixed some software bugs that I'd been encountering - so that version may be helpful, if you haven't already downloaded it.

Please let us know how you get on......

p.s. You could also try PM'ing "Xerxes" on this forum. He seems to be our most prolific Little Monster user. (When sending the PM, also select to send an email as well, as sometimes the email notifications of PMs waiting to be read don't seem to work as expected on this forum.)

Regards,

RoyG
Tevo Tornado (MKS Gen L version) - Genuine E3dV6 - BLTouch
Tevo Tarantula with a Laser Cutter/Engraver Add-on.
OctoPi (on an Odroid XU4)
Fusion 360, Cura, Slic3r, Ideamaker

Xerxes

Re: Cura; Prints start off too high from bed

Post by Xerxes » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:31 pm

This is the process I use to get the offset correct:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=341

Instead of using slic3r in that guide, just put the startup gcode with the z offset value you find into Cura.

Code: Select all

Custom g-code ; XXX edit the "G30 Zx.xx" line from the value you calculated at step 2 in the link above! IE "G30 Z1.20"

Start G-code (insert this g-code with your G30 value set)
-----------
M280 S10.6 ; clear bl-touch errors after this command it should not flash
G28 ; home all axis
M280 S3 ; bl-touch extend to probing position light on pin out
G1 Z50 F25000 ; move to 50 off the bed speed 25000
G30 Zx.xx ; bl-touch trigger point in mm below nozzle tip - increase will lower nozzle closer to bed
M280 S7 ; bl-touch to idle position light off pin in
G1 X0 Y0 Z100 ; lift nozzle
M42

End G-code (insert this g-code)
----------
G92 E0
G1 E-8.0 F9000
M104 S0 ; turn off temperature
M140 S0 ; turn off bed
G28  ; home  axis
;M84     ; disable motors

Gcode should be smoothie if Cura supports it, otherwise I believe marlin/repetier is supported.