Configuring 3DTouch bed leveller

Tarantula hardware issues, upgrades and configurations
BruceEsinem

Configuring 3DTouch bed leveller

Post by BruceEsinem » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:34 pm

I'm using the Jim Brown Marlin (so-called!) easy config off Github with an MKS Gen L V1.0 large bed. Let me know if there's any other info needed. I'm a total noob with very limited tehnical knowledge so be gentle :-)

I managed to install that Marlin firmware OK after a great deal of head-banging and hair tearing but the config for the 3DTouch (I assume it's a BLTouch clone?)is beyond me.

The hot end now centers on the bed about 7cm above it. The sensor lights up but doesn't seem to do a self-test. I have absolutley no clue how to configure it :-( I have found instructions that say you need to change certain values but I have no idea how to get the values or what they mean. I'm guessing it needs some kind of XY starting point.

Where do I even begin? Is there an idiot's guide of a sort of Homer Simpson level? Any help gratefully received

royg

Re: Configuring 3DTouch bed leveller

Post by royg » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:07 am

Greetings. My experience is only with the genuine Antclabs BLTouch. So, I'm unsure how exactly the 3DTouch copies the BLTouch. I'm assuming that the 3DTouch is a reasonably close copy, so maybe the installation and calibration instructions included on the Antclabs website (https://www.antclabs.com/) will help you sort this out. It's been almost a year since I installed my BLTouch on a Tarantula, so my memory of the initial installation and calibration process is a bit fuzzy. However, I do remember having issues with the printer zeroing about 20mm above the print bed before I did the initial calibration and set the Z Offset.

I hope the information on the Antclabs web site will help. Antclabs provide excellent email support, but unfortunately, as you've got a clone, the email support option won't be available to you.

I hope that information is useful. Best of luck, and please let us know how you get on.

RoyG
Tevo Tornado (MKS Gen L version) - Genuine E3dV6 - BLTouch
Tevo Tarantula with a Laser Cutter/Engraver Add-on.
OctoPi (on an Odroid XU4)
Fusion 360, Cura, Slic3r, Ideamaker

BruceEsinem

Post by BruceEsinem » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:17 am

Thanks!

Well, I'm told it's a clone. TBH, would have got a BLTouch had I known the info wasn't profusely avaliable. Will check it out but I'm sure it will prompt 100 stupid questions. I was going down all sorts of blind allies till I realised Repetier Server was loading in the background, tying up COM3 and giving all manner of indecipherable errors :roll:

BruceEsinem

Post by BruceEsinem » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:23 am

Had a quick read. So, here are my first stupid questions:

1) How many servos does a standard Tevo have? Not even sure what they mean by servo. My only experience is of car brake servos and it's not one of them!
2) How do I determine the probe offsets? I seem to recall somebody mentioning 38, -4 for XY with my fan housing but no idea how to check. I don't know what units it uses or how to measure them :-(

royg

Post by royg » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:11 am

Q. How many servos does a standard Tevo Tarantula have ?

A. Your Tarantula has an MKSBase 1.4, or possibly in newer model Tarantulas, you will have an MKSBase 1.5 main board. The answer is three (3) connectors that can be used to control a servo. The servos used as the same as those electronic servos used in Radio Control Model Cars and Planes. The Tarantula, as shipped by the Tevo factory, does not have anything connected to the Servo connectors. To make the pin go up and down in the BLTouch (and it's clones) the BLTouch emulates an electronic servo. I assume that after reading the info on the Antclabs website, that you've found links to the web pages that show how to connect the BLTouch to the MKSBase 1.4 ?

Q. How do i determine the probe offsets ?

A. Use a metric ruler and measure it. The distances that you're measuring are the distance in millimetres between the centre of the printhead nozzle, and the centre of the BLTouch pin. You'll need two measurements - one along the X Axis, and another measurement along the Y Axis.

Further info that might help diagnose installation issues quicker .......

1. The BLTouch gets it's power from the Z Axis End Stop Connector on the main board. When you had a microswitch on this connector as the end stop detector, the polarity of those wire was not important. However, as you're now using the Z Axis End Stop Connector to supply 5 volts to the BLTouch, polarity is now important. Follow the wiring instructions accurately so that you do not connect the 5 volts in reverse polarity and let the magic smoke leak out of the BLTouch.

2. If you've got the BLTouch wired up correctly (even of the Firmware has not yet been configured correctly) - when you power on the printer you should see the BLTouch go through a self-test process. That is, the BLTouch pin will extend and retract, and the led in the BLTouch will come on and change red/blue/red. If that happens then your BLTouch is wired correctly. If nothing happens when the printer s powered on, you probably have the 5 volt supply from teh Z Axis End Stop connector reverse polarity. Reverse the polarity, and hopefully if you haven't burnt the BLTouch with the reverse polarity, you should now see LED and pin movement. If the LED lights, but the pin doesn't move - double check your wiring and make sure that you have the servo wires connected correctly - correct colour wire to correct pin number.

3. There have been some reports that some of the cheap BLTouch clones have different pin-outs and/or different wiring colours, which makes connecting them difficult unless you can find a wiring diagram supplied by the clone manufacturer.

I hope that info helps.

Regards,

RoyG

royg

Post by royg » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:15 am

Note sure whether you've seen this page that is related to the Geetech 3DTouch.

http://www.geeetech.com/wiki/index.php/ ... ing_Sensor

There is information on that page that shows what wire should be connected to what (especially the + and - 5 volts wires. So that might help you. And if the wire colours are different to the genuine BLTouch, comparing the data for your device and comparing with the Antclabs data should make the servo wiring clearer.

RoyG

BruceEsinem

Post by BruceEsinem » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:47 am

RoyG, you are a scholar and a gentleman! Many thanks. That looks super clear. I (think) I have it wired correctly...nothing smokes or has gone bang at least (yet) :-) The good news is that it does a little jig when I turn on the printer, albeit it doesn't change colour

Re servos: Is the answer 1 or 3? Does it want to know how many can be connected or how many are actually connected?
Last edited by BruceEsinem on Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

royg

Post by royg » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:51 am

One - how many are actually connected.

RoyG

BruceEsinem

Post by BruceEsinem » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:10 am

I think I made the suggested changes OK. For now I used what I believe to be defaults for the LP fan duct with BLTouch brackets as I can't figure a precise way of measuring it. It looks very close. However, I get this error now:

In file included from sketch\MarlinConfig.h:41:0,

from sketch\G26_Mesh_Validation_Tool.cpp:27:

SanityCheck.h:483: error: #error "ADVANCED_PAUSE_FEATURE currently requires an LCD controller or EMERGENCY_PARSER."

#error "ADVANCED_PAUSE_FEATURE currently requires an LCD controller or EMERGENCY_PARSER."

^

exit status 1
#error "ADVANCED_PAUSE_FEATURE currently requires an LCD controller or EMERGENCY_PARSER."

My configuration.h is here if you need to take a look https://drive.google.com/open?id=18xHrC ... FCIv9Jff-a Any suggestions welcome. Thanks

royg

Post by royg » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:16 am

For that Marlin compile error, I'd post a question/possible bug report on Jim Brown Marlin github page. Jim should be able to answer that question with far more expertise in Marlin firmware than myself.

RoyG